Sunday, August 17, 2014
The District of Kentucky
In March 1783, an improvement of the judiciary in this distant (western) part of Virginia was directed by the legislature (of Virginia). This legislature united the three counties (Jefferson, Fayette, and Lincoln) into one judicial district. This was to be called the District of Kentucky. This new judiciary was to contain a court of common law and chancery jurisdiction coextensive with its limits. It was also to have criminal jurisdiction. The court first meet at Harrodsburg, March 3, 1783 as the new, improved court. (A county court had been meeting for Lincoln county at Harrodsburg since January, 16, 1781.) Apparently there was no house at Harrodsburg that could conveniently accommodate the court; and it was adjourned to a meeting house near the Dutch station, six miles from its initial place of meeting. John May was was appointed the first clerk, and Walker Daniel was appointed by the Governor of Virginia Attorney General for the District of Kentucky.